So my project manager has extracted from my team that the reason they haven't gotten a desirable amount of work done is that the files are FULL of extra cameras, lights, and other objects that made the file look too messy for anyone to deal with. So I set out to strip my maya files down to their bare essentials.
This is the first and sixteenth scene file after the clean up. It's looking far more structured and manageable. However, I realized that I didn't have any screen shots of the before, so I tried backing it up.
THIS is what happened to 010_lighting after the aforementioned backup. My last backup wasn't since 2013, so yesterday's state of the project wasn't QUITE this bad, but you get the general idea. It's all good now, so don't worry.
Unfortunately, some extra nodes are still refusing to delete, like scene 4's fx:side and bcam:hide (neither of which appear in the referenced file). Sure, two undeletable cameras may seem harmless, but the last time I ignored a 'side' duplicate, it ended up duplicating itself 200 times and took hours to clean up.
But I am making progress, and soon, working on this project will no longer feel like looking for needles in haystacks.